Babylon Public Library History and Information
The Babylon Public Library, originally incorporated in 1895, is chartered to serve the residents of the Babylon Union Free School District. The district encompasses 9.6 square miles and has a population of 11,973 (2000 census). Most of the district lies within the Village of Babylon, but all of the Village is not within the district’s boundaries. The northwest portion of the school district lies outside the Village boundary in West Babylon.
The Library had been located at what is now the Babylon Historical Society Building on Main Street. In 1968 the Library moved to a newly constructed building at 24 South Carll Avenue, Babylon, NY which included 10,000 square feet, and was designed by the architectural firm of Mignone, Coco, and Smith
The Babylon Public Library was renovated and expanded to 18,000 square feet and celebrated its grand re-opening in April 2006. This renovation and expansion were financed with $5.1 million bonds voted on by the public in 2004 and financed through the school district.
The Babylon Public Library is governed by a publicly elected five-member Board of Trustees who meets monthly in open public meetings. The Library employs a qualified Director who is responsible for the day to day operation of the Library. The Library employs professional librarians and support staff to assist with providing services to the public.
The Library is funded primarily through tax assessments and receives some supplemental income through grants, donations, fees and interest payments.
The Library has a set of By-Laws that govern the Library’s structure and an extensive set of policies that govern the Library’s operations.
The Babylon Public Library meets or exceeds all New York State Department of Education Minimum Standards for a Public Library (NYCRR 90.2).